Tuesday 8 December 2009

Google's Personalised Search Good or Bad?

Google has recently rolled out its personalized search so it no longer depends weather you are logged in or not. Here is a snippet from Google's blog:

Today we're helping people get better search results by extending Personalized Search to signed-out users worldwide, and in more than forty languages. Now when you search using Google, we will be able to better provide you with the most relevant results possible. For example, since I always search for [recipes] and often click on results from epicurious.com, Google might rank epicurious.com higher on the results page the next time I look for recipes. Other times, when I'm looking for news about Cornell University's sports teams, I search for [big red]. Because I frequently click on www.cornellbigred.com, Google might show me this result first, instead of the Big Red soda company or others.

You can disable personalised search but it is easy to miss or you can disable cookies but most users will leave it on. I personally don't like the idea but I am in the SEO industry and I don't use Google like the average user. I think for the average Joe it will be beneficial. One example would be my Dad who uses Google for everything; if he wants to visit the John Lewis website instead of typing www.johnlewis.com into the URL bar he will type John Lewis into Google. Another search he does is 'football' to find the BBC football site which is the 7th or 8th listing in Google. Now this would benefit him because after a period of time it will push the BBC football page to the top.

It also makes me slightly concerned on how it will affect new websites ranking. The great thing about the web to me is the variety of ideas and different views which might get narrowed and reduced by the personalised search. I have not fully tested the personalised search and I will only find out the answers after fully using the new feature.

I would love to hear other peoples opinions so please email me.

Here is a link toGoogle's Official Post: Personalized Search for everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment